If your Sony WH 1000XM4 earbuds don’t charge, you can try a few things before contacting the company or buying new ones. Here are the steps to take to fix this issue yourself.
4 Ways to Fix the “Sony WH 1000XM4 Not Charging” issue
Check for Physical Damage
If your Sony WH-1000XM4 Wireless Noise Cancelling Headphones are not charging and the wire appears intact, there may be physical damage to the headphone jack. The easiest way to check for this is by plugging a different device into the headphone jack. If you can hear audio from that device, then your Sony headphones likely have a physical issue with the jack and will need to be replaced.
Alternatively, if no sound comes through the headphone jack when using a different device, your Sony WH-1000XM4 likely needs to be charged. Plug in your charger and try again!
Update Your Headphone Firmware
Sony WH 1000XM4 headphones are known for their best noise-canceling and excellent sound quality. However, Sony has released firmware updates that can help fix this issue in the past, but if you still have this problem, you may need to contact Sony support for further assistance.
If your Sony WH 1000XM4 is already on the latest firmware update, there may be an issue with the cable or charger you use to charge them. Try using different cables and chargers to see if that fixes the problem.
Troubleshoot Further by Doing a Hard Reset
If you have tried all the options above and your headphones are still not charging, it may be time to do a hard reset. This process will wipe all data from the headphones, so make sure you back up any important files before proceeding. To do a hard reset on your Sony WH-1000xM4 Headphones:
- Press and hold the power button for 10 seconds or until the power shuts off completely.
- Once it has shut down, press and hold the power button again until the light flashes blue.
- Release after this flashing light sequence has been completed.
Follow these instructions to restore the backup of your Sony WH-1000xM4 Headphones.
- Connect the USB cable to your computer (without removing the USB cable, connect the other end to one of the earpieces)
- Hold the Volume Up + Power button simultaneously until you see a red notification on your phone with an option that says Update and follows the prompts. After following the prompts, reboot your Sony WH-1000xM4 Headphones by pressing and holding the power button for 10 seconds until they shut off completely. You should now see Headphone Mode in red lettering when you turn them on.
- Plug in your charger and give them a few minutes to charge while they are turned off
- Turn them back on and enjoy the music!
Consider replacing the cable
If the charging cable is damaged, it can also cause your headphones not to charge. First, use a replacement cable to check if this is the case and try charging them again.
If none of these tips helped and your headphones are still not charging, contact customer service for help. You should have received an email from Sony when you purchased the headphones with an email address and phone number – send in an email detailing your issue.
If you have any questions or concerns about your Sony WH-1000xm4, please don’t hesitate to contact us at customer service. Thank you for taking the time to read our guide, and we hope these fixes are of some use to you!