The Beats Studio Buds have recently been out on the market, and many people wonder why the left side isn’t working on specific pairs of headphones. This phenomenon may be explained by a few different factors.
The most popular theory is that some models have a faulty wire inside the headphone jack that causes it to be cut off for one side only. A previous owner of these headphones may also have tampered with them to make one side of them sound better with more bass, so they could listen to their music while at work or otherwise engaged in some activity where the sound would not be as straightforward as it would be if they stood still.
Make Sure Your Computer and Device are Updated
Before you do anything else:
- Ensure that your computer and device are updated to the latest version.
- If this doesn’t work, try resetting the Beats Studio buds by holding down on the power button for 10 seconds until the red light begins flashing.
- Allow them to sit off for about 30 minutes before powering back on.
- Make sure they’re charged: You have enough battery life left in your headphones. If they’re not set all the way or plugged into an outlet, this can cause one side not to work.
Unplug Everything, Restart, and Then Reconnect Everything
This is a weird one to troubleshoot because it’s hard to pinpoint the problem. But I’ll list a few things that might help get you back up and running. Unplug everything, restart your computer, and reconnect all the cables to your headphones.
If that doesn’t work, try unplugging and reconnecting the headphones themselves (keep everything else connected) or switching the sides of your headphone cable plugs around to see if one side is better.
Try a Different Cord
Try using a different cord. If that doesn’t work, then it might be time to see if your Beats Studio has a warranty and get them replaced. If you don’t have a warranty, there are other ways to fix this problem yourself without having to spend money on new earbuds.
Two possible causes for this issue are water or dirt in the wire. To remove water from the wire, put rice in a ziplock bag and microwave it for two minutes. Allow to cool down before opening the bag, and shake any moisture onto paper towels. Clean off any remaining rice with a dry cloth or paper towel before putting your buds back together again.
Update the Bluetooth Software on Your Computer
The first thing you should do is update the Bluetooth software on your computer. To do this:
- Go to the Beats website and download the latest version of Beats Studio software for your PC or Mac.
- Once you’ve downloaded it, restart your computer and follow the on-screen instructions. If this doesn’t work, try restarting your phone and turning off any app that runs in the background that might be using Bluetooth.
- After doing this, ensure your headphones are turned off before trying again.
Reset your headphones
If the left side of your Beats headphones is not working, you may need to reset them. The easiest way to do this is by turning off and then back on the connected device (i.e., your phone). If that doesn’t work, try following these steps:
- Turn on your headphones.
- Push and hold the power button on the right earcup.
- Hold it for 10 seconds.
- Could you wait 5 minutes and try using them again?
- Contact Apple Support if they do not work after that.
Reboot your computer
It may be a computer issue if you’re having trouble with the Beats Studio headphones. The problem should persist if you reboot your computer. Try restarting your device and checking again if it does. If not, make sure that any other audio devices are unplugged, and then plug in the headphones and try to play a song. If you still have no luck, double-check to ensure the headphone jack is plugged into the correct port on your computer (some computers use two jacks: one for speaker output and one for input).
Replace the Power Supply in case it was damaged by the Water
If the power supply is the issue, it’s best to replace it with a new one. If the cable was damaged by water and that’s the cause, you’ll need to replace both the cord and power supply to fix it. To remove a replacement power supply from its packaging, carefully slide a fingernail under one of its corners and pull back on it until you can access all four sides of the package.
Wipe down all areas of the bud that come into contact with your ears
The Beats Studio is an excellent set of headphones, but it’s not uncommon for one of the earbuds to stop working. The quickest way to troubleshoot this problem is by wiping down the bud that’s not working. Dust or dirt can get inside the buds and cause a short circuit, so clean off your buds with a damp cotton swab or wipe. You should also check if any cuts or holes in the wire near either bud.